Sunday, December 23, 2012

Detoxification 101: The Liver (Part 2)

In my previous post, I explained what detoxification means and why we detox our bodies. 

In order to really comprehend detoxification, I think it is important to understand how our bodies naturally detoxes itself. In this post, I will go into further detail about how the liver naturally detoxes our bodies. In addition, I will discuss various foods and herbs that help the liver function optimally.

via pinterest
Introduction

The liver is the primary detoxification organ in our bodies. Along with the kidneys, the liver does a great job of processing chemicals and toxins via sweat, urine and/or feces. This is why I'm so anal (pun intended) about making sure I have bowel movements every day.

How the liver works
The liver detoxifies harmful substances, both internal and external. Most of the toxins that enter our bodies are fat soluble. The liver's job is to convert  these fat soluble toxins into water soluble substances that can be easily excreted from the body via sweat or urine. The liver also filters the blood to remove toxins and unwanted chemicals. The liver is the body's main purification and cleansing system. For this reason, it is important that our liver remains healthy, so we can remain healthy or have optimal health.  You can check out this post, where I discuss some foods that help the liver cleanse.

There are many ways in which you can assist the liver: 
  1. Fresh vegetable juices
  2. Foods high in leafy greens. Green smoothies allow me to consume as much leafy greens as possible, without sacrificing taste.
  3. Bitter greens, such as dandelion and other herbs. For whatever reason, the liver loves bitter foods. Bitter greens and herbs stimulate the liver to produce bile, which is necessary for good digestion.
  4. Avocados (my favorite)
  5. Add more cruciferous greens, i.e. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, cabbage etc.
  6. Exercising especially yoga is great for overall health. Exercise increases blood circulation throughout the body and helps the body to relax and to sweat out the toxins and waste.
http://liliashealthbook.blogspot.com
**Again, you don't need to be on any special diet. To aid my body in its natural detoxification process, I just give my body what it needs to re-energize, rejuvenate, and build. 

I think one of the main reasons we engage in detoxification is because we are often overfed and undernourished. So by engaging in a so called detoxification diet, we begin anew; feeding our bodies with the much needed nourishment it needs.

Our bodies have the ability to naturally heal and cleanse itself. Mother Nature has provided us with all the herbs, plants, and foods it needs to do just that. Eat your fruits, eat your veggies, drink tea, exercise and your body will respond nicely.

** Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. Everything you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge, opinion, and experiences. It never hurts to supplement with your own research as well.

I hope this helps. Please share what you do to help your detox and cleanse itself. We can all learn from each other.

Have a happy holidays. Merry Christmas,

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!